Thursday, April 3, 2014

Review 'The Hobbit' by J.R.R. Tolkien

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/289870.The_Hobbit
Bilbo Baggins is a hobbit who enjoys a comfortable, unambitious life, rarely travelling further than the pantry of his hobbit-hole in Bag End. But his contentment is disturbed when the wizard, Gandalf, and a company of thirteen dwarves arrive on his doorstep one day to whisk him away on an unexpected journey ‘there and back again’. They have a plot to raid the treasure hoard of Smaug the Magnificent, a large and very dangerous dragon…

The book ‘The Hobbit’ by J.R.R. Tolkien has been on my to-read list for a long time. When the ‘Lord of the Rings’ movies were being made I decided that I wanted to read the books first. So I asked ‘The Fellowship of the Ring’ for my birthday. I think I was twelve years old at the time. Unfortunately I couldn’t get through ‘The Fellowship of the Ring’. Maybe because I was so young and really enjoyed the Harry Potter books, but I never finished it. But still I decided long ago that I wanted to read ‘The Hobbit’. Maybe I would like J.R.R. Tolkien’s writing more now I was older. So last month I finally bought the book.

I just finished reading ‘The Hobbit’ and I’m proud to say that I finished the book. But unfortunately I can’t say I really loved the story. I had a lot of trouble keeping all the names right in my head. Sometimes I just couldn’t keep up and really lost my concentration. And that isn’t something that happens a lot when I’m reading.

What I did like was the character of Bilbo. I loved the way he became braver during the journey. I also liked all the adventures Bilbo and his companions came across.  There are a lot of different creatures in this book: Elves, Goblins, Skin-changers, Wizards, Talking Spiders, Eagles, a Dragon and Hobbits. There is a lot of different stuff happening in this book.

Although I didn’t ‘love’ the story, I did like it. While reading ‘The Hobbit’ you get definitely pulled into a totally different world. And I do love a world full of strange creatures. 
So I’m definitely glad to have finished this book. I finally know where all the fuss is about. And off course now I can finally see the movie.

2 comments:

  1. Yeah, this is one that I read because I felt, as a fantasy fan, I needed to read it but I didn't love it. Actually, I've liked the movies of both The Hobbit and LOtR better! (Which rarely happens!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah.. that's probably also the only reason I read this one. The films are already ordered and I'll definitely be checking them out. The trailers looked amazing.

      Delete

 
Imagination Designs
Artwork from: www.createthecut.com