Wednesday, March 2, 2016

Blog Tour 'Beloved Poison' by E.S. Thomson


Today I’m super excited to participate in the blog tour of ‘Beloved Poison’ by E.S. Thomson. This is a Historical Crime Novel and will be published by Constable in hardback on March 3rd.

About the Book:


https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/28933550-beloved-poisonSet in a crumbling hospital in the 1850s, Beloved Poison is a richly atmospheric debut, perfect for fans of Andrew Miller's PURE.

The object I drew out was dusty and mildewed, and blotched with dark rust-coloured stains. It smelt of time and decay, sour, like old books and parchments. The light from the chapel's stained glass window blushed red upon it, and upon my hands, as if the thing itself radiated a bloody glow.

Ramshackle and crumbling, trapped in the past and resisting the future, St Saviour's Infirmary awaits demolition. Within its stinking wards and cramped corridors the doctors bicker and fight. Ambition, jealousy and hatred seethe beneath the veneer of professional courtesy. Always an outsider, and with a secret of her own to hide, apothecary Jem Flockhart observes everything, but says nothing.

And then six tiny coffins are uncovered, inside each a handful of dried flowers and a bundle of mouldering rags. When Jem comes across these strange relics hidden inside the infirmary's old chapel, her quest to understand their meaning prises open a long-forgotten past - with fatal consequences.

In a trail that leads from the bloody world of the operating theatre and the dissecting table to the notorious squalor of Newgate and the gallows, Jem's adversary proves to be both powerful and ruthless. As St Saviour's destruction draws near, the dead are unearthed from their graves whilst the living are forced to make impossible choices. And murder is the price to be paid for the secrets to be kept.
  

The Facts:


Publication Date:
March 3rd, 2016
Series:
Jem Flockhart
Genre:
Historical Crime
Pages:
400
Formats:
eBook, Hardcover, Paperback
Available at:

My Review:


A view weeks ago I received an email with the question if I wanted to read ‘Beloved Poison’. I saw the book cover and was immediately fascinated by this book. Even more when I read that this book had a historical medical theme. So when this beautiful looking book arrived I was super excited to start reading.

‘Beloved Poison’ is definitely a unique book. I’ve never read anything like it. It takes place in a crumbling hospital in the 1850s and it’s really different. It definitely took some getting used to and in the beginning I was not sure what to think. But still, from the moment I opened this book I wanted to keep on reading and I just couldn’t stop.
E.S. Thomson’s writing style is very easy to get lost in. And I loved walking through the old hospital through the eyes of her characters. What a fascinating and intriguing read!

As a nurse the whole medical theme was really fun and interesting to read. It was shocking to read how ‘dirty’ everything was back then. Especially if you think that nowadays there is a hand alcohol device next to every single patient. Since I work on a surgical unit it was really interesting to read about how a amputation went back in the day. And although some parts in this book were really dark and a little disturbing at times I found myself loving this book from the moment I started.

The mystery aspect in ‘Beloved Poison’ is also very good. There is a lot happening and everything has this dark glow over it that makes it even more fascinating to read. The main character Jem, finds these dark, old and little coffins and soon after people are being murdered. It was really fascinating to read about her investigation in finding out what was going on. And I didn’t suspect what was really going on until it was revealed. That’s always a good thing if you ask me.

The setting, the medical theme, the mystery and the characters made this book a great one, especially considering that this is the authors debut novel. I loved reading about how things where done in the hospital all those years ago. And I also really enjoyed reading about all those different poisons and herbs. I’m definitely a fan of E.S. Thomson. And have you seen that cover yet??

My Rating:

About the Author:


E. S. Thomson was born in Ormskirk, Lancashire. She has a PhD in the history of medicine and works as a university lecturer in Edinburgh. She was shortlisted for the Saltire First Book Award and the Scottish Arts Council First Book Award. Elaine lives in Edinburgh with her two sons.

For more information about E.S. Thomson please visit her on Facebook and Twitter.




I received this book from the Little, Brown Book Group in exchange for my honest review.
 
https://www.littlebrown.co.uk/

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Imagination Designs
Artwork from: www.createthecut.com